(1) Squirrel Repellants
HavaHart ® is a strong, incredibly bad flavored repellant and will stop squirrels
and many other creatures from eating things, such as wood, cable, displays, lawn
furnishings, etc. It is available at many garden centers. you can
buy it now from Amazon, too.
(2) Hot Pepper Repellant Recipe
All you need is:
- One chopped yellow onion
- One chopped Jalapeno pepper
- One tablespoon of Cayenne Pepper
Boil ingredients for 20 minutes in two quarts of water. Then let it cool and strain
the mixture through cheesecloth. You can apply this with a pesticide sprayer or
a spray bottle. This will deter just about any animal from an area where it is applied.
The only drawback is that it only lasts for three to five days.
(3) Mechanical Repellants
Spray Away Elite II Hose-Free Motion Activated Sprinkler Animal Repellent 5269 ®
by Havahart is a motion-activated sprinkler. It works great for keeping most animals
out of yards or large areas. You can buy it from Amazon. This product is most commonly
used as a squirrel repellent.
It is hose-free in design and it is completely portable. It is Solar powered and
pre-charged for immediate use. Safe and easy-to-use alternative to chemical repellents
and electric fences. Repels by quick burst of water, sudden movement, and startling
noise to chase animals away and Protects 1,900 square feet. Isn't it great.
buy it from Amazon.
(4) Squirrels in Attic
Squirrels in the attic are a very common problem. Damage to attics as a result of
squirrel habitation is very rare. Squirrels will often leave attics in the summer
because the attic becomes too hot. You can wait until the hottest part of summer
and then block the holes. This is the most humane solution.
Note: These techniques are appropriate for adult squirrels. If babies are involved,
humane eviction should be delayed until the babies are old enough to leave the nest
and survive on their own.
Find Their Method of Entry
- Check outside for any visible entrances, be aware that the holes may be smaller
than you expect.
- Check the attic for light shining through from the outside, this may be an entrance.
- Common entrances are attic vents, in the crease of two ajoining roofs,
and in soffit vents.
Check for Babies
- Babies are born twice a year, in the spring (January-April) and in the fall (August-September).
- Search the attic for nests, which are commonly constructed from insulation and other
materials.Nests are usually located closer to the outer edges of the attic, between
studs and into the eaves.
- A pole may be used to check for babies in hard to reach places.
Of course, use care as to not injure any baby squirrels.
- You will want to leave the nest undisturbed until the babies are older and
on their own.
To Block the Entry Hole
- This is best done at mid-morning on a warm sunny day. Squirrels are usually out
eating at this time.
- Check to make sure they are out before starting.
- Use 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth, which is available at any hardware store.
- Cut the hardware cloth 2" bigger than the hole on all sides.
- Secure it with a staple gun, U nails or regular nails and re-enforce with sheet
- Spray the area with Ropel ®, a proven repellant available at garden, hardware, pet
or feed stores.Or use Tabasco sauce ® in a mixture of 1 tablespoon to 1 quart water.
- If a squirrel is accidentally trapped in the attic, please refer to the instructions
titled, Block and Trap.
This product is ideal for trapping squirrels, rabbits, mink, and similar-size nuisance
animals. Havahart traps are designed and used by professional trappers. Animal control
officers also trust and use Havahart traps -- so can you! Constructed of sturdy
wire mesh with steel reinforcements for long life, and galvanized for maximum resistance
to rust and corrosion. Mesh openings are smaller than competing traps of comparable
size to prevent escapes and stolen bait. Spring loaded door and sensitive trigger
ensure quick, secure captures. Solid door and handle guard protect user during transportation,
while smoothed internal edges protect and prevent injuries to animals. Made in the
USA. You can
buy it from Amazon
Block and Trap
- If all of the holes are blocked and it appears that squirrels are blocked in, then
live traps may be set in the attic. When the squirrels are caught, immediately cover
the trap with a large towel to reduce stress. Then, take the trap outside and release
it as close to the site where they were live-trapped. Improper relocation to other
areas or other habitats usually results in death for the relocated squirrel. Be
sure to use a repellant around the holes that have been blocked.
(5) Squirrels with Babies in the Attic
It is best to wait to evict squirrels with babies until the infants are grown and
gone. Usually all squirrels leave the natal area 12-14 weeks after being born for
territorial reasons. Sometimes, one may stay behind, and then eviction techniques
may be used. If you really need them out immediately, then you will want to get
the mother to move the babies on her own.
- Go into the attic and locate the nest during mid-morning.
- Very gently tamper with the nest. Try pulling off the top of the nest and if possible
slide the nest over a foot or so. But, remember to be very gentle, babies are quite
- Place a radio, tuned to an all talk station, about 6' from the nest.
- Roll rags into a tight ball and tie with twine. Soak rag balls in ammonia until
saturated and toss them into the vicinity of the squirrels' nest.
- Check the nest the following morning. If the babies are gone, you can usually block
First, make sure the mother didn't move the babies to another part of the attic.
The radio usually prevents this. the mother has or knows of an alternate nest site,
she will usually move her young within an hour or so.
- If she has to find or build a new nest, it may take 5 or 6 hours.
(6) Squirrels in Chimneys or Exhaust Fans
Note: Under no circumstance should a fire be used to evict any animal. Starting
a fire will only burn and/or kill the animal.
- From the roof, remove caps from the top of the chimney or exhaust fan.
- Drop down a thick rope or cloth, such as old blankets or sheets, so the squirrel
can climb out. It is a good idea to tie knots in the rope or cloth about 1 ft. apart,
this will provide a more secure climbing surface. You may have to tie 2 or more
together to reach the bottom of the chimney. Tie something to provide weight to
the bottom of the rope or cloth, such as a hammer, pair of pliers, etc. Be sure
to lower slowly. This will help you to feel the bottom, especially if the pipe is
curved. Also, it will provide stability when the squirrel climbs up and out.
- Make sure it reaches the bottom. Then secure the rope or cloth at the top.
- Leave the area completely alone.The squirrel should climb out in 1-24 hours. NEVER
LEAVE SQUIRRELS IN THE CHIMNEY OR EXHAUST FAN LONGER THAN 24 HOURS - THEY WILL DIE
- Once the squirrel is gone, use a commercially built chimney cap to prevent
reocurrence. Exhaust fans usually have caps on them. Use hardware cloth to block
the area between the cap and the top of the pipe or any space that can be used as
an entry point.
- Or, open the fireplace door so that the squirrel can enter the house, then follow
instructions for Removal through the House